If you want your child to learn it, you have to be it. Children are biologically wired to follow the example of their parent. Your words and your authority as a parent are not enough to teach your children how to live.
It has to start with you. If you have to be it to teach it, then self-work is one of the most important practices you can do as a parent. Just show them the way.
Tips for Effective Role-Model To Your Child:
- Include your children in family discussions, and use these as ways to show them how people can get along with others and work together.
- Practice what you preach. Children notice when you don’t.
- Work towards a healthy lifestyle by eating well and exercising regularly. Avoid making negative comments about your body – and other people’s too. Not only will you be healthier, but you will send an important message about body image and acceptance.
- Show that you enjoy education and learning. If you make it seem interesting and enjoyable rather than a chore, you child is more likely to have a positive attitude toward school.
- Keep a positive attitude in your life – think, act, and talk in an optimistic way.
- Take responsibility for yourself by admitting your own mistakes and talking about how you can correct them. Do not blame everything that goes wrong on other people or circumstances.
- Use problem-solving skills to deal with challenges or conflicts in a calm and productive way. Getting upset or angry when a problem comes up teaches your child to respond in the same way.
- Show kindness and respect to others in your words and your actions.